Friday 15 June 2007

A tale of a DIY fan.

Another of the jobs I have done recently at my house, well I say recently, within the last two years, is put an extract fan in the bathroom. Now this wasn't as difficult as it could have been, because there was already a type of air brick in the wall, which did make the bathroom a bit cold in the winter.
I first of all looked around for a suitable extract fan that would do the job, I wanted one that when not working would have closed louvres to prevent draughts and would have a timer so it would run on for a while. I eventually found one on EBAY, made in Italy, the manufacturer was a company called OERRE, yes I know not a name I have heard of either, but it was the size I needed and did look good.
I ran a cable from the lighting circuit off the bathroom in the attic to a fuse spur, which I attached to a joist.
I pre-cut a piece of plywood about 12" x 12" and drilled out a hole of 9" circle, the same size as the outlet of the fan, then painted it with several coats of paint. I then cut out the front of the air brick, which turned out to be a metal cover, but not easy to actually take off, so I just cut through it. Next I fitted the fan to the wood, and drilled the plywood on to the wall covering the hole.
I lastly took a length of three core flex from the fuse spur to the fan, an earth was not required as the fan was double insulated so just used the earth wire as a neutral with black tape covering the earth colour, so it could not be confused as an earth at a later date. I made the connections and tidied up the job. It works a treat and so far has worked perfectly with no draughts.
Register on eBay.co.uk!

No comments:

Google Custom Search