Tuesday 15 May 2007

Security D.I.Y.

I recently put up some outside/security lights at my house, fortunately the one at the back was just replacing an old one that was an original when I bought the house, so no major problems there.
The harder task was the lights at the front of the house, I wanted a lantern type that came on when you walked past it and a flood light at the side that did the same.
The main distribution board was at the front of the house, and I had already put some mini trunking up the wall when I had moved in, admittedly it was too small now to take any more cable, but at least it was a start.
So I put some larger trunking up the wall, and drilled through to outside, and took both cables out, one to the lantern and the other to the floodlight.
The lantern type I bought from a local diy superstore after searching around a couple of them, and settled on a decent type that has two levels of light, it is on all the time when it is dark, at a very low power setting, but it makes the front of the house safer.
Obviously when you walk up to it goes into high wattage and all in all it does the job well.
I know that the power usage has now increased but I think that it makes the house a lot safer so have offset this with safety.

No comments:

Google Custom Search